Saturday, August 19, 2017

Granny at the circus continued

I knew I was not happy with this painting but I couldn't exactly figure out what it was. It was a few things, actually. But since this is a personal piece that nobody really cares about except me, I figured I would go ahead and experiment with it.
For one thing the composition was off. There was way too much dead space on the left hand side. I added in a few more people which gives it more of the atmosphere of the actual place and balances the composition.
I also used DAZ to redo the girl serving drinks in the back. Her pose was very awkward.
I also tried something with the stockings of the showgirl. I printed the net stockings on acetate and laid it on top of the painting, It worked in parts, but overall it was too messy and made some big blobs of dark so I ended up going back in with the sharpie oil paint pen and making a dot pattern.
I have also discovered that gelplen goes on pretty well over the oil and tempera. I don't know how well it will hold when I paint over it though. I'm thinking if i use a layer of oil to seal it up it might be ok. We shall see.
And lastly I want to keep track of how I do the skin tones. I like the way the Gerbil Boy turned out but I dont remember exactly the technique I used so i will try to make note of it here if I figure out a good way.
So here is how it is now, we shall see how it goes:

No comments:

Post a Comment