Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Atlas completed

 This is the second and and last part of my blog about this project. 

After all the clay was dry I put a base coat of a greenish dark brown all over him. The only hard part was making sure all the white parts were covered. In the future I would like to try putting color in the clay while wet so it is not so obvious when I miss any spots while painting. If I know it will be a dark color I think that would make it easier.


brown undercoat


For the top I printed out an old map the right size for an 18 inch circle. I use modpodge to seal it so the ink wouldn't run. I put it on both sides but That made it harder to glue down smoothly to the wood. I think I will try just doing the top side next time. I just have to be really careful not to damage it when I am gluing it.

I then used Martha Stewart craft paint (she makes the best) Citrine Gold to glaze him. It was a nice greenish gold.

So here he is:





I will have to keep experimenting with the structure and formula of the clay but overall I am pretty happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment