Sunday, December 18, 2011

New Project


I
decided to do a 3d version of a picture I had in my head. I had done a drawing of it and wanted to see if I could use it for this one.
I figured I would make the mama bird fly around while the man's eyes followed and his mouth opened and closed in surprise. All of this would be powered by a crank which the observer would turn.
So I started studying simple machines. How rotary motion can be converted into reciprocal motion etc. Once I figured that stuff out I had to decide on the materials I would use. I started out using foam core board but that was just too imprecise. I ended up using foam board for the base and wooden precut shapes and Popsicle sticks to build the gears and rods. The hardest part was figuring out how to make movable joints so the pieces would stay together but move in the way they were supposed to. The next post will have the supply list I ended up with:





No comments:

Post a Comment